Saranac Laboratory
&

Dr. Edward L. Trudeau


Saranac Lake,NY

Dr. Trudeauís original Saranac Laboratory on Church Street was the first facility in the United States specifically for tuberculosis research. The construction is unusual, with a first floor of quarried stone, and a second story of brick that was added later. This site stayed active until the new Trudeau Institute laboratories opened in 1964. Future plans call for a museum here to present Saranac Lakeís history as a health resort.


Historic Saranac Lake, a not-for-profit organization, formed to seek National Register of Historic Places listing for buildings in and around Saranac Lake, New York, works to encourage historic preservation in the community through education and research. Activities have included: the listing of 170 properties to the National Register of Historic Places, operation of a rural preservation company, completion of a comprehensive housing survey, two rehabilitation conferences, full rehabilitation of two houses in the community and publication of two books and two videos on local history and architecture. Current projects include the restoration of the the Saranac Laboratory, Union Depot, implementation of an architectural preservation curriculum in local schools, restoration of the Bartok Cabin, participation in Downtown Revitalization, guided tours and answering research requests.

If you would like to contribute to the renovation of the Trudeau Saranac Laboratory please contact:
Mary Hotaling
Historic Saranac Lake,
PO Box 1030
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
Phone: (518) 891-0971

 

 
 
   
   
(all photos - Historic Saranac Lake) back to main page